10 Quick Facts About Shorter College Competitive Cheerleading
1. Shorter is proud to offer two competitive cheer programs-coed and all girl. Both squads of 20+ members cheer for all home football games in the fall and then split up the basketball games in the winter. Both teams will compete at the NCA College National Championships in Daytona Beach, Fl., in April.
2. Requirements/Expectations for the coed team: double downs from all flexibility stunts for flyers, toss extensions for stunters, and round of back handspring full or better for tumblers, plus a standing back tuck for all squad members.
3. Requirements/Expectations for the all girl team: full downs or better from all flexibility stunts for flyers, and a round off back handspring or better and standing back handspring for all squad members.
4. Over the summer, team members are expected to work out regularly to keep up their strength and flexibility. Tumbling skills are expected to IMPROVE. A local "open gym" will be offered at Hot Shots Cheerleading Center to those close to Rome. At the end of the summer, we will have a mandatory 3-day pre-camp at Shorter and then attend NCA College Cheer Camp in Myrtle Beach, SC.
5. During the school year, we will practice 3 days a week in the fall and 4 days a week in the winter at Hot Shots Cheerleading Center (local cheer gym ½ mile from campus).
6. Supervised study hall is required for all incoming freshmen, as well as sophomores, juniors, and seniors with a GPA lower than a 2.75. Study Hall is held for a minimum of 3 hours of a week. Cheerleaders must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 in order to cheer and/or compete.
7. Every team member in the Cheer Hawks program will receive scholarship money! However, the amount of scholarship varies, and is based on FAFSA, GPA, and skill level. Current team members receive a range between $500 per semester and $7,500 per semester.
8. Being a Shorter Cheer Hawk is a year-round commitment, including but not limited to football games, basketball games, and competition venues, and every returning team member is must try out every year. Team members can be switched from either team at any time throughout the season.
9. Try Outs are May 1-3! Friday, May 1, 6pm-9pm: learn try out material, meet coaches, stunt clinic with current team members; Saturday, May 2, 10am-2pm: perform material, stunts, and tumbling in front of coaches; Sunday, May 3, 1pm-3pm: First official team practices. Applicants sending in try out videos must have everything submitted by May 1, 2009. Please send videos to Coach Magness c/o Shorter College 315 Shorter Ave. Rome, GA 30165. Include in video: standing and running tumbling on a cheer mat or grass (not on spring floor), cheer or dance with motions (demonstrate ability to lead crowd), and demonstrate either all girl or coed stunt ability. In order to try out, participants must have already applied and been accepted to Shorter College with an entrance GPA of 2.0 or above, AND have already submitted their FAFSA form. No exceptions! Try out apparel should consist of a comfortable t-shirt, athletic shoes and shorts for guys, and a fitted t-shirt, cheer shorts, sports bra, hair bow (wear hair half up/half down) and cheer shoes for girls. We encourage everyone to wear the official try out t-shirt to Shorter College try outs on Saturday (see order form below). We will be selling these shirts at try outs for your convenience.
10. I encourage anyone interested in cheering at Shorter to attend try outs, even if you don't meet the team requirements. Please contact Coach Rachel Magness via email at if you have any questions regarding try outs